"...is a natural process carried out by the child and is not acquired by listening to words but by experiences in the environment."
- Maria Montessori (1870-1952)
Montessori education is an educational approach developed by Italian physician and educator Maria Montessori. Montessori education is practiced in an estimated 30,000 schools worldwide, serving children from birth to eighteen years old.
Montessori education is characterized by an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child’s natural psychological development. Although a range of practices exists under the name "Montessori", the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) and the American Montessori Society (AMS) cite these elements as essential:
Mixed age classrooms, with classrooms for children aged 2½ or 3 to 6 years old by far the most common
Student choice of activity from within a prescribed range of options
Uninterrupted blocks of work time
A Constructivist or "discovery" model, where students learn concepts from working with materials, rather than by direct instruction
Specialized educational materials developed by Montessori and her collaborators
In addition, many Montessori schools design their programs with reference to Montessori’s model of human development from her published works, and use pedagogy, lessons, and materials introduced in teacher training derived from courses presented by Montessori during her lifetime.
Below, you will find a clip showing the founders of Google - Sergey Brin and Larry Page - emphasizing the importance and impact of a Montessori education.
Source: Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education]
On MariaMontessori.com's website, there's an interesting summary of "mavericks who have been on the leading edge of innovation and creativity in our culture" including but not limited to the following:
- Jeff Bezos - Amazon Founder and CEO
- Jimmy Wales - Founder of Wikipedia
- Prince Harry and Prince William - The English Royal Family
- Helen Hunt - Academy Award Winning Actress
- Stephen Curry - NBA all-star on the Golden State Warriors
- Peter Drucker - "The Father of Modern Management"
- Katherin Graham (deceased) - The Owner/Editor of The Washington Post
- David Blaine - Magician
- Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs - Producer/Entrepreneur
- Anne Frank (deceased) - Famous Diarist from World War II